By Dada Ibukunoluwa
As a form of showing their grievances for the inequalities between the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and Non Academic staff, Non Academic Staff Union of Universities(NASU) and Senior Staff Academic (SSANU) chapters of the University of Ibadan, took to the campus main gate, for few hours earlier today, to express their grievances.
The SSANU/NASU nationwide strike, which started on Fed 4 is a decry against the stratification in the system of paying workers salary.
The strike action from these groups is targeted at saying no to the following:
1. Inconsistencies In The IPPIS Payment
2. Non-payment Of Earned Allowances (Ea)
3. Non-payment Of Arrears Of Minimum Wage
4. Delay In Renegotiation of FG/NASU and SSANU 2009 agreements
5. Non-payment Of Retirement Benefits Of Outgoing Members
6. Teaching Staff Usurping Headships Of Non-teaching Units In Clear
Violation Of Conditions Of Service And Establishment Procedures
7. Neglect And Poor Funding Of State Universities
8. Non-constitution Of Visitation Panels For Universities
Mr. Micheal Oluseyi, a member of NASU, said that the students will suffer from the strike action “Just yesterday, I heard they were computing students result and they were chased away. Most transcripts will not be made available and admissions will be affected too. In that aspect, it will affect them.” He concluded.
However, the gates were later open-end when the Acting Vice-Chancellor, Prof Ekanola addressed them.